Sunday, September 20, 2009

Can Good Business Strategy and Fun Co Exist?

I've been thinking long and hard about how to turn this love of craft into a business. Even if it's not a full-fledged, bring-home-the-bacon job but rather a way to earn a little mad money, I think it would be very fun to run my own craft business.

The more I think about it, the more I'm led to believe I need to write a business plan. I started the other night using this outline . It's very tedious - and this from a girl who is a few months away from earning her MBA! The value is there, though. Each section of the outline has forced me to think through what I want from the experience for business ownership.

I attended a seminar this past week on good marketing and pr planning. The speaker talked about how the fun (or desert!) is in the execution, but you need to eat your broccoli first and lay out your roadmap for success. The plan should be measurable so you know when you have success. Is success making $20k profit this year? Or is it getting links published on 5 other blogs back to your own? Food for thought...

 I have been sewing. Will publish more of that information in the next few days. Have a great rest of the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment